Wednesday, January 26, 2011
Easy Breakfast, Crustless Quiche
One of my favorite breakfast meals is crustless quiche. Prepare a large pan on Sunday afternoon and you’ll have breakfast covered for the next week. Trust me; you will not miss the crust! The following recipe is one of my favorite concoctions (spinach and mushroom quiche) The best part is that you can have fun with it; keep the basics (eggs, milk, salt and pepper) and then throw in left-over’s from last night’s dinner to create your own quiche—be creative and have fun!
Spinach and Mushroom Quiche
Prep Time: about 15 minutes; Cook Time: 30 minutes
• 1 T olive oil
• 1 T butter
• 1 onion, diced
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 1lb fresh spinach; chopped, steamed, and drained
• 10 eggs
• 1 ½ cups milk
• 6-8 oz feta cheese or goat cheese
• 1 lb shitake mushrooms, sliced
• ½ tsp fresh ground pepper
• 1 tsp sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large frying pan, sauté onion and garlic in olive oil until tender, next add butter and mushrooms (continue to sauté until mushrooms are tender.) Remove from heat.
3. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs. Add the cheese, salt and the pepper, and stir to combine.
4. Add spinach, mushrooms, onions and garlic, stir to combine.
5. Pour into a greased 9 x 13 glass baking dish; bake for 30 minutes, or until the edges start to brown.
6. Serve alone, with a tossed salad, rice, or roasted red potatoes (my favorite!)
7. Yields about 8 servings (more or less depending on how hungry you are)